Friday, January 22, 2010

Friday, Jan 22nd, 2010



We had a huge thunderstorm last night, torrential rain and fierce winds. The reported wind gusts from Mt. Lemmon was 85 mph!!! All the big palm trees were swaying and doing limbo and I just loved being inside, listening to Mother Nature freaking out. This morning all the usually dry roads, water canals and rivers were flooding creeks and all of a sudden the "DO NOT ENTER WHEN FLOODED" signs, made sense. I had decided to, finally have a rest day and the weather seemed perfect for just that. A thick cover of cloud hid the mountains and it was still pouring down at 7 a.m.. But, like always, the sun came through and at 10 a.m. the roads were drying up and the rest of the day was nice and sunny, despite some strong winds. I went to Bill Peterson at 2 p.m. to pick up my custom made insoles. Bill is a strong believer in fixed cleats, so he aligned up the cleats and I was ready to ride the rollers while he made sure that my knees, pelvis and spine were all aligned. The final piece of advice was to try and take it easy the first couple of days to allow the body to adapt to the new set up. Well, there's a Shootout tomorrow morning, so we'll see... I was driving Jennys car, so I drove by "The Running Shop" to see Brett. He showed me around in the shop and I ended up buying a(nother) pair of Nike Lunar Racers. 80 USD compared to 200 USD in Denmark makes it a sweet deal and it's one of the most snug shoes I've ever worn. I'll use them for training, which should be fine, considering the low mileage I'm doing. For the last year or so, I've only run in Nike Free, Nike Lunar Trainer and -Racers, which seems to work out just fine. It's kind of funny how I used to swear to Nike shoes in the 90'es and then completely abandoning them, favoring Adidas and ASICS. I think the lighter, not so cushioned, low heel idea is the way to go. And don't forget the bare foot running too! Besides Denmark in the winter time, Arizona trails, full of spines, is not the way to run unprotected either... Anyway, the 50+ stability shoes I've got stored back home got a time out for a while.

No comments: